Thursday, June 24, 2004

Vale of Leven 10k / river bound ...

The run …
Vale of Leven 10k is the last in the Polaroid road race series. Despite entering the series for the last three years, this was the first time I wasn’t double booked and could actually attend (actually I was double booked but that is another tale).

The start was down by the railway station before a loop led up into Balloch country park and a short hill which broke the field up a little. An easy descent back into town before heading out towards Jamestown, Bonhill, over the river Leven and a return to Balloch via Alexandria.

At the 5km point things were looking good for a new PB with 20 minutes and 29 seconds on the watch (previously I managed 40:37 at the faster Dumbarton course). Once again, no amount of effort seemed to pull back the 29 seconds to get under the magic 40 minute mark which would have been perfect – was the previous best at Dumbarton beaten … not sure. I stopped my watch at exactly 40:37 ! Will see the official results soon I suppose.

Quick yap to a lass I was at school with, then off north to the river Teith …

Maybe ma boat is too wee ?
I sent Rossco a txt to let him know I was just past Drymen (his burd was on cook duty). About 40 mins later I got a concerned call asking where I was … apparently the journey should of taken half the time and I had taken the tourist route ?!?!?

Conversation over lunch (which was cracking – cheers Lynn) centered around the New Zealand All Blacks and personal in-security. Fully fed, we fully loaded loaded the car and headed up to Eas Gobhain which flows into the Teith. An easy start and an easy float for a while. Passing the meadows we debated if the river was up or down on the last time. Before long, we were using hands to lift the bottom of the boat off the river bed. Shortly after we were out and walking over a section that was almost completely dry.

After the luxury and space of the sea kayak, the Riot 007 seemed ehhhh … tight. After the run the legs were sore but after an hour in the 007 I couldn’t even feel them. Ross suggested we pulled over and stretched the legs a little. My problem was standing up ! As I wiggled about trying to get onto the bank the blood returned which in retrospect may not of been a good thing. Back in the boat, cramp threatened for the remainder of the journey. Major memory of the trip was watching Rossco fall into the river whilst exiting the kayak at the get out. It was great to be back on moving water again !!!

1 Comments:

At 10:16 am, Blogger Carrick 'Pyro' Armer said...

The reason a 007 seems tight is... well... because it is.

Is there water up there? there's not an awful lot here, and I'm getting withdrawal. Bring on the Heb...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home