Sunday, September 25, 2005

Miss Chatty China and Mohamad Muscles - PJ Half Marathon

Its 6.30am, still dark, 27 degree, and I'm standing at Kelana Jaya Stadium, just out side Kuala Lumpur with 4000 other heed jobs, dressed in shorts and a running vest.

My mind flashes back to the 2002 Glasgow Half Marathon, where the German and I stood shivering in the downpour, as thunder crashed further up the Trongate. I hate to think what the temperature was!

I was just as wet when the Classic looking Raj Sikh official, complete will full turban and curly moustash, fired his pistol in.the air to start the 21st PJ Half Marathon. This time I was soaked in my own sweat, and I hadn't even started running yet!

The thought of running 13miles in the tropics is a daunting one, however like all endurance sports, its all about the training. Slowly adapting the body to handle the conditions. My adaptation included 3 outside runs in 2 years, and several 5K sessions in an air-con gym. I was expecting pain.

Once we started up the high street in Glasgow, the body warmed up and before long we were at pace, chasing down the 1hr 30min target.

Here in Malaysia, warming up is never a problem! I decided my target time was around 1hr 45mins, and I would start near the back of the field. I would pad the first 10K at a very easy pace, drink as much water as possible, and then step up the pace to gain the pyscological advantage of passing the people who had gone off too fast. In my head, it was sound logic and actual a mature and experienced approach to road racing (Not something I've practiced much in the past)

At 5K they were issuing frozen sponges to accompany the cups of tea warm drinking water. A strangle combination, but it worked. The warm water went down without upset to the stomach and the sponges were fantastic, squeezed just behind the neck.

At 10K I was feeling slightly over-temp but still OK, as we headed out on the long straight towards where I work. I was making up position fast, as many people were fading (Mostly made up of football shirts, and adidas kick - They made me reflect on the Great North Run!)

I was starting to fade at 15K when the rain started. It was warm rain of course, but welcomed all the same. My feet were cooking, so the 5mins of tropical downpour followed by some deep puddle jumping helped cool them down and kept my mind off the pain which was creeping into my tired legs.

A Chinese girl asked me where I was from and I told her Taman Seputeh, and then asked her the same question in Bahasa. Her puzzled look was then followed with a laugh. (I decided there and then she had just entered one of my private competitions and I was hell bent on beating her)
She went past me joining a old guy, who looked very strong.

I put in the effort to join them, and decided my best tactic was to hang onto this small group until 20K, and then try to find the strength for a strong finish. Easier said than done!

The older guy was a picture of fitness. Every muscle in his body was well defined, and he looked like he ran races every weekend. Unknown to him, he too he had become competition fodder. Although I'm sure wouldn't of been overly concerned about the heavy breathing scottish race stalker, desperately trying to hang onto his tail.

The road climbed over a bridge, and during the gradual assent, my years of plodding up Scottish hills seemed to present me with an advantage. I drew level with the other two, who had slowed during the climb. Although my legs were nearly finished, my head enjoyed the psycological boost.

The last watering station was at 19 km. I grabbed cup of water, took one sip and poured the rest down my back. The Miss Chatty China and Mohamad Muscles were now behind, and I decided to try push on with as much pace as my weary legs could manage.
I dared not look back as I took the left turn into the Kelana Jaya shopping area, followed by another left into the road which led to the sports stadium. I knew its was only 500yards away but I also knew the Big Sikh organiser with the gun, would probably make us lap the running track before presenting us with a finish line.

I was right, but entering the stadium was a great feeling, with so many people supporting and cheering the runners on.

Then out of nowhere, the chinese girl came bounding past me, saying "not far now, good luck!"
I managed to gain enough pace to stay with her, and then level as we came into the home straight. I then turned to her and said "only 30secs to go until 1hr 50mins"
We both sprinted to the line and finished together.

1 hour 49mins 39 seconds was the official time, which maybe my worst half marathon time, but I was happy. Considering the heat, and my limited training, I went home very satisfied.

By 8.30am, I was back in bed, in the recovery position, cuddling my camelbak!

Alan Kelly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home