Wednesday, August 25, 2004

ML assessment for real ....

Below is a wee blog from my pal Jasmin. It follows on from the Cairngorm trip back at the end of June. Most important bit .... SHE PASSED ! Well done girl.

----------------------------------------------------------------------


Finding the courage to go back and complete what I started in September 2003 took longer than I thought it would. My outward attitude was ‘of course I’m going back to do the assessment’, but deep down I was just too terrified of another accident out on the ropes to make that commitment. Eventually I made the booking and then it was a simple matter that I had to be able to abseil whether I liked it or not …. the very first time I abseiled since the accident was completely nightmarish – but I got there in the end…

Sunday 18th July: I arrived at the Lodge in time for some last minute panic reading about environmental topics. I had the luxury of a room to myself and within minutes of arrival it was covered in kit and books.

Monday 19th July: Breakfast – or an attempt at breakfast – on panic stricken stomach. Start to meet other people who were on the same assessment, who all seemed to be extremely calm – although most admitted to the contrary. At 9 we met our instructors, and then it was out on the hill for some basic nav and emergency procedures. Once we got started I was a lot happier! We were given water and contour features to find, taking turns to lead. A few ‘what ifs’ were thrown in for extra measure – and to see if you had the kit to be able to deal with the situation – sprained ankle, early signs of hypothermia and so on. Water hazards followed in the afternoon. I lost count of how many times I went across that stretch of water. Everytime I crossed I seemed to get in deeper and deeper.
The bar seemed like a very good place to be that evening….

Tuesday 20th July: This was the day I was truly dreading: security on Steep Ground. The whole decision making process was as important as the ropework itself - and eventually the day was over. I managed to deliver what was required, but my nerves were completely shredded by the end! Towards the end of the day, the wind picked up and even simply trying to tie a Thompson knot proved extremely tricky as the rope was blown all over the place.
The bar seemed to be an even more welcoming place that evening …

Wednesday 21st July: Well, this was it: the two night exped. I made the mistake of weighing my rucksack – and really wished that I hadn’t found out how heavy it actually was! We started off from the ski car park, walking into Coire an Lochan, each of us taking turns to lead the different legs of the journey over towards Cairn Etchachan. Very grateful to see the campsite – but before we could grab that long awaited brew, several questions on campsite organisation management…

Night nav was hard work. We were out for 4 hours (after what must have been at least a 7 hour day). What an experience - middle of the night on Macdui - pitch black with the cloud base down - remaining snow fields iced over - temperature at about freezing- and headtorch beams bouncing off the moisture in the air!!!! Had a bit of a shock on the leg I had to lead. In the middle of concentrating hard on my pacing I was distracted by clicking sounds and then got the shock of my life as some dark shapes emerged out of the gloom. This was my second close encounter with the Cairngorm reindeer herd – the first being on a solo wild camp last summer when one reindeer started to take too much of an interest in my tent for comfort.

Thursday 22nd July: Peering out of the tent, I established that the weather was ideal – the cloud base was low- hopefully with a day’s nav in this then we wouldn’t have another night nav exercise. Up to the summit of Macdui, over to the memorial, then a knee jarring journey down into the Lairig Ghru, followed by finding a contour feature over the other side of the river (I was getting slightly paranoid by this point as all I seemed to get was contour features – was I getting everything completely wrong???). Up to the Garbh Coire hut for lunch, where we were to treated to an environmental talk. Then over Angel’s Ridge (yup, with full pack!) followed by more navigation across the Moine Mhor, eventually ending up between Carn Ban Mor and Sgor Gaoith, overlooking Loch Einich, where we camped for the night.

Friday 23rd July: After breakfast I treated everyone to an environmental talk (which was over researched – sorry to everyone who had to sit there freezing while I talked on … and on…!)Then the walkout to Glen Feshie, navigating pretty much to the bitter end. We were driven back to the lodge in the minibus – and all I could do was sit there and think that there was nothing more I could do now. Lunch at the lodge was most welcome, followed by a wait for results. I was so pleased to pass. It was something that didn’t seem remotely possible for me to achieve at the beginning of the week – and by passing I have certainly put some nightmares to rest!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home